Upma kozhukkattai is a tiffin item . Those days my paati used to make arisi upma, upma kozhukkattai.. Missing those days. But I was very happy to make it for the first time using kodo millet and it tasted awesome! It tasted the same way as my paatis.. It's very aromatic!
I had this upma kozhukkattai and coriander chutney in my friend aunty' house and loved the combo... Do try it , I am sure you will love it!
- Varagarisi - 1 cup
- Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
- Coconut oil
- Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
- Channa dal / Bengal gram - 3 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Green chilly -1
- Red chilly -2
- Hing -1/4 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Wash the millet with water and drain and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add coconut oil and temper mustard seeds, dal, curry leaves, chilly, hing,chillies.
- Add the two cups of water, add the grated coconut and salt.
- Bring it to a boil. As soon as the water is boiled , add the millets..
- Keep on stirring till the rice is cooked and absorbs the water. It will be half cooked.
- Keep stirring till it comes to the consistency to roll in hands as kozhukkattai..
- Switch off and allow it to cool.
- Heat a idly pan , and grease the idly plates.
- Take small small balls from the upma and roll it into kozhukkattai form and place it on the plate.
- Steam it for abt 7-8mins.
Wonderful tasty soft upma kozhukkattais ready!