Festive season begins here and Diwali is fast approaching. Let me start with few sweet posts for the next few days. My hubby's native is Thirunelveli . We all love to have Thirunelveli halwa anytime nod every time. So I thought of making this halwa for my hubby's birthday. My hubby and daughter loved it I must say. It was really authentic in test end very easy to prepare it.
Try this delicious halwa this Diwali and write your feedback.
- Wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar for caramelising - 2 tsp
- Ghee - 1 cup and 1 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup for sugar
- Water for taking milk
- First step is knead the wheat flour using water into a chapati dough.
- In a vessel, add some warm water, place the kneaded dough into this warm water for 5-6 hrs.
- After 6 hours, take the dough and mix it in the water nicely without any chunks or lumps.
- Strain and keep the milk separately in a vessel. Add some more water and mix the dough or chunks nicely and squeeze to get the wheat milk from the dough. Strain it along with the prev milk.
- For halwa color, we are going to caramelise sugar. Heat a pan, add a tsp of ghee. Add one tsp of sugar and allow it to caramelise.
- Take the caramelised sugar in a small cup.
- Heat ghee in the non stick pan, fry the cashews and keep it aside. Add the sugar and 1/4 cup water.
- Allow it to dissolve and boil for few mins. Add the wheat milk extracted into the sugar.stir continuously.
Add ghee in between for every occasional stir.
Finally add the remaining ghee, the transparent halwa would be visible and it will leave the pan. The ghee will leave the halwa and come out separately.
The halwa is done , transfer it to the vessel and add the cashews.
Lipsmacking halwa is ready.