Vinayagar chathurthi is on September 17th this year. Kozhukkattais will be there for neivedhyam in all your houses. Usually we make kozhukkattai using plain rice flour. This year I have planned to make kozhukkattai using millet flour . I make using Kodo millet or varagarisi in Tamil for making the outer cover of the kozhukkattai. I have already prepared the flour for that. Here is how to go about for making the flour.
- Varagu arisi or Kodo millet - 1 cup
- Take one cup of millet in a vessel. Wash it twice to clean the dust that is there in the millet.
- Soak the millet in water for one hour.
- Strain the millet with a strainer .let all the excess water be strained.
- Take a white cloth or a nice dhoti and spread the strained millet and allow it to dry for 30-45 mins.
After 45 mins, put the dried millet into a mixer and grind it into a smooth flour. The millet will be little moist only.
Grind it in mixer nicely in batches if your making a larger quantity.
Sieve the flour and if there are small balls or lumps. Collect it and grind again.
sieve the flour and put it in a wide vessel or newspaper and allow it to dry in open air.
Millet flour ready for making kozhukkattai dough!