- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- a pinch salt
- 75 ml (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour ,baking soda, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer (preferably fitted with paddle attachment) or 6 with a handheld. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Form dough into a 12-inch roll (2 inches in diameter) on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll up dough in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place on large baking sheets about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on sheets 3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.